Home Page » Servizi » Scopri Carmignano » English version » Discover Carmignano » The ways of the sacred » Church of Saint Leonard - Artimino

Church of Saint Leonard - Artimino

Pieve San leonardo

Via della Chiesa, 19/a - 055 8718068 Priest

The original plan of the Romanesque church of San Leonardo (230 meters above sea level) goes back probably to the second half of the tenth century. Subsequently, the church has undergone changes and renovations: in the twelfth century and in the fourteenth century, dates of the construction of the vaulted roof of the inner aisles. In the fifteenth century the fašade, characterized by a blind arch with a mullioned window (a solution that is owed to Lombard workers active in Tuscany between X and XII century), was leaning against the balcony.
The rear of the building is divided into three apses (laterally characterized by blind arches that rest on pilasters, the middle, with “tube” niches) that are matched in the three interior naves separated by pillars with square corners. On the external fašade, made entirely of sandstone blocks arranged in regular rows, were recovered, during a restoration carried out in the second half of the ’60s, some Hellenistic Etruscan urns, now replaced by copies, which have led to the hypothesis of the existence of an Etruscan necropolis in the immediate vicinity. On the left side of the church bore the bell tower, changed between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Inside the building some works worthy of note are preserved: the altarpiece of the Madonna del Pozzo, a copy of Raphael’s painting, attributed to Franciabigio (1482-1525), where the Virgin is represented with Child and St. John, the wooden statues of San Leonardo (early fifteenth century) and St. Anthony (early sixteenth century), a group of polychrome terracotta by Della Robbia school with visitation to St. Elizabeth and behind the altar, a painting entitled Crocifissione tra i Santi Lorenzo e Raffaele con Tobiolo, e due confratelli della Compagnia, made around 1560.
 

Hours
On Sundays and during religious holidays the Parish is open in the morning from 10.30 to 12.00 and from 15.00 to 16.00 (winter time).

The other days by appointment only.

 

Summer time
In addition to the morning hours, the Pieve is open in the afternoon from 17.00 to 18.00

 

 

Condividi